latest instagram pics

25 July 2011

juliet turns three - a rainbow princess party

Our big girl is three. Just typing this out triggers all kinds of crazy (somewhat sappy) emotions, but the words just aren't coming. We are so blessed. Juliet is pure joy. So very thankful ... and I'm tearing up.

Man, am I an over emotional pregnant lady or what?

Our celebrations were low key. Yes, I said celebrations. We celebrated twice cause Aunt Dan, Uncle David, and Aunt Deb were going out of town for a mission trip ... and who doesn't want to open presents and be the center of attention for two parties!?

Opening a few gifts at party #1.

DSC_0013

DSC_0017

DSC_0019

My mom and I scored some great princess stuff at a local JBF sale and that's all been a big hit. See those Belle shoes? The heels light up. And they were $3!!

The second celebration was themed a Rainbow Princess Party. I kind of made it up, but I think it turned out fabulously and most importantly Juliet loved it. Juliet had 2 requests for her birthday - a princess cake and a bounce house. On my quest to fulfill the first request, I came across a lot of pink princess cakes. Which are fine and all ... maybe I am just not the biggest fan of pink. I don't know ...

But then I found this cake on Pinterest.



AMAZING right? It's ok to drool :)

I had to make this cake ... but Juliet's request was for a princess cake.

Hmmmm ...

princess + rainbow = rainbow princess!

Here's how Juliet's cake turned out.

The outside (crown made of sparkly craft foam).

DSC_0032

The inside (clearly I am not a food photographer).

DSC_0082

If you want to make a rainbow cake, I would definitely recommend going to Crafty Mama's blog (cake pictured above) and read all her tips. For mine, I used this recipe for the cake and this basic butter cream frosting recipe from Martha Stewart. The cake is not hard to make, but I would definitely say it's a 2 day project!

To date, I have been able to throw pretty no fuss parties for the girls. I've enjoyed keeping the parties on the small side with some special touches that don't break the bank. In fact, I think I like the challenge of creating big impact decorations on little to no budget! For this year, our rainbow princess party wouldn't have been complete without a big ol' rainbow and of course a castle for our birthday princess!

DSC_0073

The rainbow was HUGE and if I'd known how much work it was going to be, I might not have ever started it. Ha! It's made of hundreds (literally) of coffee filters dyed with food coloring/water. It was a fun project. Just time consuming. The girls loved to watch the rainbow grow day by day and it was such a fun addition to the room I was sad to take it down!

DSC_0070

DSC_0072

I need to find some better photos of the rainbow and upload them ...

The castle is just paint on a big roll of brown packing paper with tissue pom poms for clouds. Lots and lots of tape on the wall for this project :)

Blowing out the candles.

DSC_0075

This picture looks innocent enough ...

DSC_0080

Until you see this one ;)

DSC_0081

Yummy.

DSC_0087

Some other pictures from the party.

Eating brunch (before eating cake of course!).

DSC_0041

Little princess.

DSC_0047

Swinging outside.

DSC_0055

Presents!

DSC_0060

DSC_0062

I somehow managed not to take pictures the day of the party of Juliet's other birthday request - a bounce house. But, that's ok because I have other pictures! Rather than renting a bounce house we opted to buy a little one and I must say that it's a decision I don't regret!

DSC_0003

DSC_0101

It fits in our living room and playroom and the girls LOVE it. It's been a fun inside activity with all the hot weather we've been having. We've used it a ton so far and it seems really durable ... and did I mention the girls love it?!

DSC_0076

Big thanks to Aunt Allie for doing all the bounce house research :)

Well that about covers it. She's three and so incredibly grown up.

Love you big girl.

DSC_0086

No comments:

Post a Comment