latest instagram pics

07 February 2011

trash bag snow pants

Last winter I put Target bags over Juliet's shoes to keep them dry because she didn't have any snow boots. My sisters and I did this growing up. It seemed like a totally normal thing to do (is it not?) ...

CIMG7309

This winter, I took it to a new level. Trash bag snow pants. She actually had boots, but we got a lot of snow - 14 inches - and I knew the level of the snow would be up over her boots and that just seemed like it would be a cold wet disaster.

So I made her some waterproof pants!

It's so easy and fun that I thought I'd share.

Humor me with this tutorial, ok?

All you need is a trash bag, scissors, and some duck tape.

I used a 33 gallon drawstring trash bag, but you could use a smaller bag, especially if you were making them for a small child. I don't think the drawstring is a necessity either. Packing tape would likely work just as well too.

Simply cut.

DSC_0103

DSC_0102

And tape.

DSC_0104

DSC_0105

Check the inside of your pant legs. If you have any gaps, you can place tape over them like this.

DSC_0108

DSC_0109

Sorry for those blurry photos.

For adult sized pants, you are done! Cut the drawstring at the front opening and tighten and tie at the waist. I also put some rubber bands around the ankles, but you could stuff the bottom inside snow boots as well I would think.

If you are making child sized pants, use some regular pants as a guide to cut the length. Leave them long.

DSC_0107

The first time I made a pair for Juliet, I also cut up the sides of the bag to make the width of pant legs smaller. I did not do this the second time and both worked fine. If you don't, the pants will have a baggier look. hehehe

If you do, and you are using a drawstring trash bag, just make sure to reattach the drawstring pieces to each other so the drawstring will still be functional. I just pulled the drawstring pieces out of the loop at the top and taped them together.

Here is the first pair, made to fit a bit slimmer.

DSC_0015

And the second pair. Tied in back.

DSC_0115

And in front.

DSC_0116

Rubber bands around her boots and she's ready to hit the snow!

DSC_0111

Sporting our pants in the snow.

DSC_0207

I'm sporting bags on my feet too because I had my post surgery walking boot on. Still wearing it some ...

No comments:

Post a Comment