latest instagram pics

05 February 2011

recovered chair cushions and how I got my hands on my first vintage fabric

First of all, I dug out my sewing machine and can't find my bin of thread. Anywhere. What? As I rummaged through every closet in the house three different times, I kept thinking, this would NEVER happen to Jen :)

Anyways, a little bit on project that didn't involve my sewing machine.

Recovering our dining room chairs.

After only a year they all looked about like this.

DSC_0125

Apparently Juliet didn't like to contain her spills to just one chair :)

My first thought was to recover them with oilcloth, but I couldn't decide on one. Nothing fit with everything else in the room. Months went by and our chairs kept dirtier and dirtier ...

As kind of a last resort I typed "oilcloth" in Etsy, and found this beautiful fabric from seller Rabbits Fabrics.

DSC_0183

DSC_0179

It was described as a vintage fabric, heavier than a polished cotton, but lighter weight than an oilcloth. The colors were perfect. And the shop owner had JUST ENOUGH!

It was meant to be.

I had to have it.

And I love it.

I bought every bit she had cause I'm selfish like that ;)

I just got them all recovered this morning.

DSC_0005

I think I'm going to put some clear vinyl over two of them. Just to keep the beautiful fabric safe from food and drink spills :)

This was such an easy project and made such a big difference!

3 comments:

  1. Ha-ha! I certainly do my fair share of rummaging through tubs and bins, but thanks for the compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the chairs look fabulous! Great work Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen! I am quite confident that there has never been a day where you could not find a single spool of thread! We did find my small bin though ... it was at bottom of a closet under a bunch of suitcases :)

    ReplyDelete